The Battlefields of Manassas
Ed Conner Photos Page 2


This is the reproduction of the Henry House, the original having been heavily damaged during the 1st Bull Run battle; what wasn't destroyed fell prey to souvenir hunters of both armies. The small cemetery to the right of the house contains the final resting place of members of the Henry family. The tall tombstone marks the grave of 85-year old Judith Henry, a bed-ridden invalid, who was killed when a shell, presumably fired by Rickett's battery, entered her bedroom

This is The Stone House, a highly visible landmark during both Battles of Bull Run, located on the Warrenton Pike. In both battles, The Stone House was used as a hospital. The house bears scars from the battles; a shell is embedded next to the top story window at the right on the end of the house


This is the original Robinson House and farm lane. Confederate troops of Hampton's Legion formed in this lane in an ill-fated attempt to stem the advance of Federal forces. Slowly, the Confederates were forced out of the lane into the pine thickets to the rear of the house

Owned by a freed slave, James Robinson, the house sustained little damage during the Battle of 1st Bull Run, but was sacked by Federal troops after the Battle of Second Bull Run. In 1873, Robinson was awarded $1249 in damages by Congress

The Robinson House survived both Battles of Bull Run and stood for over 130 years until it was destroyed in 1993 by arson. Sadly, today only the foundation remains

Confederate artillery at Jackson's Line on Henry Hill. When all seemed lost to the Confederates, Virginia infantry under the command of General Thomas J. Jackson emerged from the tree-line at the right center of the photo. The momentum of battle was about to shift

Manassas (Ed Conner Photos) Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Next

Back to Manassas Battlefield Home

Return to Misc. Sites Home          Return to Misc. Sites Index (All Misc. Sites)          Return to Site Index (All Civil War Album Sites)