East Chickamauga Creek Crossings

Photos/text courtesy of Paul Stanfield, Ringgold, GA
contact Webmaster for use of any of these images

Return to Chickamauga


During the 1863 Campaign for Chattanooga, Union and Confederate troops utilized two major crossing points over East Chickamauga Creek in the vicinity of Ringgold, GA. One of these crossings was west of Ringgold where the Old Federal Road or Rossville-Ringgold road crossed the creek (older local residents refer to this as "Ballew's, pronounced Blue's Ford). Union troops utilized the crossing points on September 11 and 17, 1863 during the Chickamauga Campaign and again on November 27, 1863. Confederate troops also used this ford during their retreat toward Dalton in November, 1863. US Highway 41 crosses the creek at this point today. Upstream or southwest of Ringgold, the Reeds Bridge Road (modern Boynton Road) crossed the creek on a covered trestle bridge. Union troops seized this bridge November 27, 1863, using it for several days before burning it on December 1


(January 2009) This East Chickamauga Creek crossing is located near Lafayette Road in Ringgold. A public parking area allows easy access to the crossing. View looking northwest toward Old Alabama SH-51 in the distance


(January 2009) Another view of the crossing looking in the opposite direction


(January 2009) This crossing is near the US-41 bridge over East Chickamauga Creek in Ringgold, next to Old County Line Road. View looking south


(January 2009) US-41 bridge over East Chickamauga Creek, possible site of Blues Ford


(January 2009) Dr. C. B. Gamble house site. Confederate Army Commander Braxton Bragg established his headquarters at the residence of Dr. Gamble, post surgeon of the Cherokee Spring Hospital during late summer 1863. According to local tradition the Gamble residence stood just south of the Old Stone Church on the east side of US-41, possibly across from Tiger Creek


Return to Chickamauga