Battle of Franklin Photos Page2
Return to Franklin, a Virtual Tour
Return to Home

(August 2002) Enlarge Williamson County Court House (1859), Franklin, TN
The current Williamson County Courthouse is of the antebellum Greek Revival style and was built in 1856-58 and is the third Courthouse to serve Williamson County
Williamson County was severely affected by the war. Three battles were fought within the county: the Battle of Brentwood, the Battle of Thompson's Station, and the Battle of Franklin, which had some of the highest fatalities of the war

The county is named after Hugh Williamson (1735-1819), North Carolina's representative at the Constitutional Convention
Link: History of The Williamson County Courthouse
Brian Risher photo

(March 1995) Dr. McPhail's Office, Franklin
Served as Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield's command headquarters prior to the Battle of Franklin
Webmaster photo


(2007) Enlarge St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Franklin
So badly damaged through use as a Civil War barracks and hospital that it had to be remodeled in 1870. Oldest Episcopal Church and congregation in Tennessee

Chris Shelton photo

(2007) Enlarge St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Interpretive Marker: St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Chris Shelton photo


(March 2008) Pinkerton Park, Franklin
More Fort Granger     2
Fort Granger Interpretive Marker
at Franklin's Pinkerton Park. The footbridge in the background crosses the Harpeth River. The park parallels the east bank of the river

Fort Granger December 2008 Courtesy of Andrew Turnier

(March 1995) Pinkerton Park
Fort Granger Hill (Figuers Bluff) in the background View looking north from Pinkerton Park, near the marker in the previous photo
Webmaster photo


(3-95) Harpeth River below Fort Granger
Webmaster photo


(3-95) Fort Granger, exterior ditch
Interpretive Marker at Pinkerton Park:
In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on Figuers Bluff, .2 mi. north on the Harpeth River. Fort Granger commanded the southern and northern approaches to Franklin and was adjacent to the critically important Tenn. & Ala. Railroad bridge. The artillery within the fort saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate cavalry forces. During the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864, the site served as Hqtrs. of Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield commander of U.S. forces and as an active artillery position
Webmaster photo

Franklin Page1   2    3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   Next

Return to Franklin, a Virtual Tour