Helena, Arkansas

Courtesy of Brian Risher, Hernando, MS and Webmaster
Helena Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Next

Sites by State Home

1. Battle of Helena, Arkansas, 4 July 1863
2. Helena-West Helena, Arkansas - Wikipedia
3. Arkansas Civil War Sites | Historic Properties | Historic ...
4. The Civil War in Arkansas - Places | Helena
5. Battle of Helena - Encyclopedia of Arkansas
6. Battle of Helena - Wikipedia

(3-99) Moore-Hornor House, c. 1860, 323 Beech Street. This house occupied a central position in the Battle of Helena, being just below Union Battery C on Graveyard Hill. Shell marks are visible on parlor doors. U.S. Army officers lived here during the Federal occupation

(3-99)  Tappan-Pillow House, 1858, 717 Poplar Street. The mansion was once the home of James C. Tappan, one of seven Confederate generals from Helena. Union troops used it as their local headquarters during the occupation and it is believed that General William T. Sherman quartered in it while in the area


(3-99)  Estevan Hall, 1826, 653 Biscoe Street. The house was occupied by the U.S. Army during the Civil War

(3-99) Graveyard Hill (Union Battery C) from the site of Fort Curtis
Wartime photo of Fort Curtis
Site Marker: Fort Curtis: In August 1862 the Union forces occupying Helena erected on this site a redoubt of earth and timbers to serve as the key to the city's defenses. Fort Curtis named for the Union general in command at the time of construction, was one of five fortified positions which enabled Union soldiers to repulse a Confederate attack on July 4, 1863, designed to recapture the city and relieve the siege at Vicksburg. On the day of the attack 4,129 Union officers and men, under General Prentiss, were positioned in and around the fort against 7,646 Confederate troops under General Holmes

Sites by State Home    Helena Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Next