Monocacy Page2
Photos/text this page courtesy of Craig Swain, Leesburg, VA
For any use of these photos contact

(July 2007The Best Farm was added to the National park in 1993. Originally established in 1794 by a family of French refugees from Haiti, by the time of the Civil War the property had passed to the Trail family with the Best family as tenants. Aside from the main house, a secondary house, corn crib, stone barn, and two smaller outbuildings date to the 19th century. Ramseur's division drove Federal skirmishers across the road here and back to the railroad grade, which runs behind the farmhouse to the left. In the later stages of the fighting in this sector, two guns of Massie's Flauvanna Artillery Battery deployed on the ground just behind the farm house

(July 2007Front of the farm house. The main house was built in the 1790s, and underwent at least four major expansions through the late half of the 19th century


(July 2007Side view of the farm house. At the time of the war, the house had a single story detached kitchen. Later a two story frame infill joined the kitchen to the rest of the building

(July 2007A reproduction Napoleon stands on the Best Farm between the main house and the secondary dwelling. The structure has hints of Caribbean style construction. In the background, the new visitors center does a nice job of blending into the scenery of rural Maryland


(July 2007From the farm, looking east toward Monocacy Junction. Running from the left is Urbana Pike (Maryland 355), the historical route of Georgetown Pike. The treeline running perpendicular to the road covers the B&O Railroad grade. The railroad grade formed the center for the mixed group of Federals defending the covered bridge and railroad junction. Just beyond the treeline stood a wooden blockhouse featuring a 24pdr Howitzer, with wide fields of fire to the west. Detachments of the 9th New York Heavy Artillery (Infantry), 106th New York, 10th Vermont, and 1st Maryland Potomac Home Brigade formed the Federal defense


(July 200714th New Jersey Monument. Erected in 1907 and re-dedicated on July 7, 2007 (the day this photo was taken), the monument was the first on the battlefield and was erected at a cost of $4000. In actuality, the 14th NJ fought on the east side of the river, on the left side of the Federal lines on Thomas Farm. Portions of the mixed Federal skirmish detachment formed lines arching from the railroad grade (right side) back to the river (left side of photo)
Monument Detail
Comparison of above photo with 1993 view

Monocacy Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Page7     Page8     Page9     Page10     Next

Sites by State Home     Site Index