Photos/text this page courtesy of Craig Swain, Leesburg, VA
For any use of these photos contact

(September 2007) The 10th Vermont Monument was dedicated in 1915. Most of the regiment was engaged at the Thomas Farm sector, but a detachment of 75 men were integrated with the skirmish line on the west side of the covered bridge. Two members of the regiment received the Congressional Medal of Honor for action here - First Lieutenant George E. Davis and Corporal Alexander Scott. (Link to NPS details on the monument:     More info


(September 2007) Close up of the 10th Vermont Monument inscription


Dedicated in 1915 by the State of Vermont to honor the 10th Vermont Infantry Regiment, this monument was the third erected at Monocacy.

The 10th Vermont took part in two locations at the Battle of Monocacy. The first was at Monocacy Junction, where a small detail of 75 men was tasked with aiding in the defense of the two bridges crossing the Monocacy River. Most of the regiment took up position along the left flank of the Union line at the Thomas Farm, where it participated in some of the heaviest fighting.

The monument is a granite monolith approximately eight feet in height, and bears a bronze tablet in the shape of a Greek Cross upon which is inscribed:

This monument was erected by the state of Vermont to designate the position of the 10th Vermont Infantry during the battle fought here on the ninth day of July 1862 to save Washington, "and we saved it." Seven companies occupied the Washington Pike, while three companies occupied the Buckeystown Road opposite the Thomas House.


Two members of Company D, 10th Vermont Infantry - First Lieutenant George E. Davis and Corporal Alexander Scott - were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions at the Battle of Monocacy. Private George M. Douse, of Company A, was among those of the 10th who were wounded during the battle. His story and correspondence with a comrade provide an interesting first-person account of some of the battle.

Return to Monocacy