The Peninsula Campaign Page7
this page courtesy of William Bozic

(7-05) Close-up Seven Days Battles: Malvern Hill
This photo shows the remains of the Methodist Parsonage. The chimneys were prominent so they could easily be seen by Union gunners on the crest of Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862 and still can be clearly seen from the cannons mounted in front of the West Farmhouse

If you look closely it is possible to see the foot path which eventually leads to cannons at the NPS Confederate artillery tour stop just off Carter's Mill Road which are impossible to see due to the trees. D. H. Hill's men came from the left of the chimneys, while Jackson's men came from across the Willis Church Road (Route 156) further to the right of the chimneys


(7-05) Seven Days Battles: Malvern Hill
This photo was taken from driveway at the National Park Service (NPS) Malvern Hill exhibit shelter. The white building in the background is the West Farm House which very closely resembles the original wartime structure. The Richmond Battlefields Tour Route sign is an example of the helpful signs. Roads meander, change names and numbers, so these signs are a big help


(7-05) Seven Days Battles: Malvern Hill
This photo is from the National Park Service (NPS) exhibit shelter at Malvern Hill. From this position you can see the open ground over which Confederate troops charged against Union troops of George Morell's Division of Fitz-John Porter's Corps. There are some informational signs and an audio program here. The photo is just left of the center of the Union line that stretched about 3 miles in the shape of an inverted "U". The heart of the Federal defense was an array of cannon spread across the Northern slope whose guns overlooked the large fields in front. So strong was the position that no Confederates reached the cannons. The NPS has placed some artillery pieces here to represent the Union artillery line. Just out of view to the left is the privately-owned Crew House


(7-05) Seven Days Battles: Malvern Hill
The six 12lb guns of Battery "A", 5th US Artillery under command of Lt. Adelbert Ames during the afternoon of July 1, 1862 fired 1392 rounds of shell and canister. Most devastating was the canister (Shotgun-like blasts of small iron balls fired usually at short range). The Confederate infantry lines melted away under the barrage. No Southerners reached the guns. Across the Willis Church Road from the guns you can see the West farmhouse.

It should also be noted that during the battle many more cannon were in use and the statistics about the six cannons of Battery "A", 5th US Artillery are taken from the small interpretive marker visible behind the guns

Peninsula Campaign Page1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next

Sites by State Home        Site Index