Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas Page3    

(5-05) Prairie Grove was a small but active farming community at the time of the battle. The engagement developed so quickly that many local families did not have time to flee. Numerous eyewitness accounts of the battle were written by civilians who took shelter in cellars like this one and listened to the sounds of the fighting above
 
Dale Cox photo

 

(3-99) Start of the one mile self guided walking tour which provides a close look at the eastern end of the battlefield where some of the heaviest fighting took place. A guide for this walking tour and a 10 mile driving tour, which provides a complete view of the battlefield are available at the Visitor Center

     

(5-05) The one-mile paved walking trail leads from the parking lot area along the Confederate positions atop the ridge past the Borden House and then back along the Federal positions. This section of the Prairie Grove Battlefield, where heavy fighting took place along the eastern end of the two-mile long battle line, is one of the best-preserved battlefields in the United States
 
Dale Cox photo

  

(2011) Enlarge Battle Monument (Rhea's Mill Chimney)
 
William J. Bechmann III photo

   

(2011) Enlarge Rhea's Mill Chimney plaque
 
William J. Bechmann III photo

 

(2011) Enlarge Rhea's Mill Chimney
 

William J. Bechmann III photo

     

(5-05) The former chimney of the Rhea Mill now serves as an imposing monument on the battlefield grounds. This structure originally stood six miles away from the battlefield, but was dismantled and relocated here after it was given to the park. The chimney is 55 feet high, contains 700 stones and weighs an estimated 200,000 pounds
   
Dale Cox photo

 

(2011) Enlarge The Morrow House (General Hindman's Headquarters)

Marker: Confederate Headquarters. This house, built about 1855, was the home of the John Morrow family, and originally stood on Cove Creek 9 miles south of here. On the night before the battle of Prairie Grove, Confederate General T. C. Hindman met with his division and brigade commanders in this house and made final plans for battle. The army left the Morrow farm for Prairie Grove at 4 o'clock on the morning of December 7, 1862. This house also sheltered General Sterling Price in February 1862 when Price's army was enroute to the battle of Pea Ridge
 

William J. Bechmann III photo

Prairie Grove Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4    Page5    Page6     Page7     Next

Sites by State Home     Site Index