Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas Page7    

(2011) Enlarge Battlefield Tour Stop 12: Morton House Site
 
Tour Guide: The William Morton house was near this location. Men of the 10th and 13th Kansas Infantry advanced to the Morton blacksmith shop south of here, which sat where the Prairie Grove School is today. Unable to break through the Confederate lines in front of him, General Blunt ordered his troops to withdraw into the valley late in the day

 
William J. Bechmann III photo

  

(2011) Enlarge Battlefield Tour Stop 13: Confederate Left Flank
 
Tour Guide: General Daniel M. Frostís Confederate division rested on this road. A brigade of dismounted Texas cavalry, under the command of General John S. Roane, positioned themselves to the northeast. Colonel Walter P. Laneís 1st Texas Partisan Cavalry guarded the Confederate left flank in the woods to the northwest

 
William J. Bechmann III photo

     

(2011) Enlarge Battlefield Tour Stop 14: Prairie Grove Church
 
Tour Guide: The original one-room log building stood in almost the same spot as the present structure. General Hindman used the church as his headquarters during the battle. Afterwards, both sides used it as a hospital. The battle received its name from this simple structure. The town of Prairie Grove, established in 1888, got its name from the Civil War battle
 
William J. Bechmann III photo

(2011) Enlarge Confederate Soldiers (painting by Andy Thomas)
 
William J. Bechmann III photo

     
 

(2011) Enlarge Union Soldiers at the Borden House (painting by Andy Thomas)
 
William J. Bechmann III photo

   

Prairie Grove Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4    Page5    Page6     Page7     Next

Sites by State Home     Site Index