Battle of Port Royal, SC Page2
Photos/text courtesy of Mike Stroud, Bluffton, SC
For any use of these photos contact

Port Royal Page1   Page2   Page3   Next

(2009) Enlarge The last remains of Fort Walker
Enlarged Views: Hit Back Button to Return

(2009) Enlarge Interpretive sign: Two brothers, one Union and one Confederate



(2009) Enlarge Interpretive sign. Honoring the memory of the Drayton brothers

(2009) Enlarge  Marker Fort Sherman marker.
Fort Sherman
Completed in 1862, this large earth fort was designed to defend the great Union blockade base on Hilton Head against Confederate land attack. Named after the first Union commander here, Gen. Thomas W. Sherman, the fort consists of two miles of earthworks enclosing a 14-acre area. With other fortifications Fort Sherman formed part of a defensive line 5 miles long across the north end of the island.
Hilton Head Island Historical Society 1961


(2009) Enlarge Layout of Fort Sherman


(2009) Enlarge Fort Sherman earthworks

Port Royal Page1   Page2   Page3   Next

Sites by State Home     Return to Site Index