U. S. Army Rock Island Arsenal Page2

Photos/text this page courtesy of Lee Hohenstein, Omaha, NE

Home     Site Index

Rock Island Arsenal Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Next


(October 2007) Enlarge Union Coehorn Mortar manufactured in the arsenal in 1863, one of the many varied weapons produced then and since to support the U.S. Army
Interpretive Sign: U.S. Coehorn Mortar. Firing a 24 pound shell and manufactured in 1863, it was used by the Union army during the Civil War 1861-1863

(October 2007) Enlarge The "Galvanized Yankees" volunteer for Union duty



(October 2007) Enlarge Bell from the Steamboat Effie Afton
Interpretive Sign: On her maiden voyage in 1856, the Effie Afton collided with the Rock Island - Davenport railroad bridge. The Effie Afton caught fire and sank, and the bridge was partially burned
In the resulting litigation, the Railroad Bridge Company was represented by Abraham Lincoln. The trial ended in a hung jury. The Supreme Court eventually decided a subsequent suit in December 1862, and the bridge remained operational
In 1928, the bell was recovered during routine dredging of the river channel. The intact bell was broken into souvenir pieces by the workmen. Most of the pieces were returned and reassembled to display in the museum

(October 2007) Enlarge Detail The Confederate Cemetery monument


(October 2007) Enlarge Larger view of the cemetery


(U.S. Army) Enlarge Post card of the Confederate Cemetery noting that each of the 1,964 graves bears the soldiers' name, company and unit and includes 49 members of the 108th Regiment of the United States Colored Troops. The cemetery is maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs

Rock Island Arsenal Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Next

Site Index