Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page10
April 2004 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA
October 2007 photos/text courtesy of Lee Hohenstein, NE
   

(October 2007) Aldie Mill: Rear view of the Merchant Mill and water wheels

(October 2007) Aldie Mill: Granary and Storehouse buildings

      

 

(April 2004) Aldie Mill: The Country Mill

(April 2004) Aldie Mill

     
 
(April 2004) Aldie Mill: The Storehouse  

(April 2004) Mt. Zion Church
 
Established in 1851 and intended as a place of worship, Mount Zion Church, in its tranquil setting in Loudoun County, belies a turbulent history. It served as a barracks, battleground and burial place during the Civil War. As Confederate Partisan Ranger Colonel John Singleton Mosby’s fame grew in this area, the federal government resolved to destroy his base of support. As Federal patrols scoured the countryside, Mount Zion Church served as a stopover for the Union troops. In 1864, one of these stopovers became the scene of one of Mosby’s most famous fights. On July 4, 1864, Union troops under the command of William H. Forbes of the Second Massachusetts Cavalry, along with the 13th New York Calvary, took 150 men on a three-day mission through "Mosby’s Confederacy," as the area was known. On July 6, Union troops halted near Mount Zion to fix dinner. Mosby was advancing down the turnpike when he encountered Forbes' pickets and a battle ensued, resulting in at least 105 Union soldiers killed, wounded, or captured. Mosby lost one man. A row of blank fieldstone markers identifies some of the
Federals' resting places. After the war, regular services resumed at the church and continued until 1980. Since then the church’s trustees have agreed to turn it over to Loudoun County as a historic site honoring the many events which took place here as part of Loudoun County’s rich Civil War history

    Page10    
 
 
         
    Site Index