Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page18
August 2006 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA

Joshua Gunnell House, Built c. 1830

Joshua Gunnell House
The first skirmish of the Civil War occurred on Main Street, June 1, 1861. Ex-Governor, "Extra Billy" Smith, a civilian , ran from this house to take charge of the Warrenton Rifles. Their commanding officer, Capt. John Quincy Marr had been killed, the first Confederate officer killed during the Civil War in a military engagement between the opposing forces. Union Lt. Col. Robert Johnstone was billeted here during Ranger Mosby's March 9, 1863 raid. They did not succeed in capturing Col. Johnstone of the 5th New York Cavalry, but they did embarrass him to the extent that it followed him for the rest of his career. Awakened by the sounds of cavalry passing his window, Johnstone challenged them. Realizing they were the enemy, Johnstone made his escape through the back door, while his wife held the rebels at bay at the front door. (some witnesses would later jest that Mrs. Johnstone gave them the only opposition they would encounter on the whole raid!). Johnston eluded the rebels by hiding under an outhouse in his undershirt. When that story got around camp, it was enough to make him wish he'd been captured instead, having acquired the nickname of "Outhouse Johnstone"



Moore House, Built c. 1840
During his March 9, 1863 raid, Ranger John S. Mosby searched here, with no success, for the Union mercenary Col. Percy Wyndham who had called Mosby a horse thief. Mosby had replied that the only horses he had ever stolen had Union troopers on their backs armed with two pistols and a saber. This was later R. Walton Moore's home, congressman and counselor of the State Department under Franklin D. Roosevelt who was entertained here. (President William Howard Taft attended a garden party here sometime after his presidency.)

Draper House, Built c. 1820
Built by Dr. Samuel Draper, this house served as his home, office, and examining room. Its Flemish bond brickwork, box-like appearance and large end chimneys are typical of Federal style architecture. Many of the structure's original out-buildings have been converted into shops

    Site Index