Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page40
August 2007 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA

Herndon Station Enlarge

Herndon Station: Mosby's Herndon Station Raid Enlarge


Herndon Station - Route 657 (Elden St.) Enlarge
Route 657 (Elden St.) On Tuesday, March 17th, 1863, Mosby's men attacked the reserve picket post of the First Vermont Cavalry based at Herndon Station, (also called "Hendrick's Station in some accounts) on the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad. By this time, the AL&H had been under Federal army control for nearly two years, making it a natural target for partisan ranger activity. However, by this time, the railroad was nonfunctional west of Vienna as rebels had torn up the tracks in various places. The depot at Herndon had been converted to a store, and the town was a union picket post merely because of its geographical positioning. The 40 Rangers took the Vermonters totally by surprise, as they arrived at roughly the same time that the Yankee relief detachment was expected, and were coming from the direction of Dranesville, where the main cavalry camp was located. The net result was the capture of 4 officers, 21 men, 26 horses and associated equipment. (and four hot lunches -- read on!) Casualties were light, with one of the Vermonters -- Sgt. Jonathan Blin Atchison of Co. A wounded. One Ranger, John deButts, was also wounded but only slightly. Before leaving, the Rangers ate the four lunches that had been left, uneaten on the table. Mosby historian John Scott, in his 1867 book cited elsewhere states that "as soon as the officers had delivered up their arms, the men attacked the dinner on the table and soon dispatched it"


Hannah House Enlarge
 The former house of Union sympathizer Nat Hannah. At the time of Mosby’s attack, his wife was entertaining four Union Army officers. As the Rangers were leaving town, Mosby noticed four well-equipped horses tied in front of the house. He sent “Big Yankee” Ames and several men into the house but the officers had taken refuge in the attic. Ames fired a pistol shot through the ceiling calling for their immediate surrender and they promptly did so. In the rush to climb down, one officer, Major (later General) William Wells, fell through the plaster ceiling. General Wells became a friend of Colonel Mosby after the war


Historical marker on VA Rt. 7 (westbound) at Dranesville
Mosby and his Rangers continuously made raids on Union picket posts along this road during the war


Historical marker on VA Rt. 7 (westbound) at Dranesville

    Site Index