Shell Hall (Ronkinís Long Room)
Mount Pleasant, S.C.

Photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, Philadelphia, PA
For any use of these photos contact
Webmaster
   

(October 2006) Front
 
General Beauregard had serious reservations about the cause of the sinking and gave orders that the Hunley was to be operated only on the surface for the time being. This time he appointed Lieutenants George Dixon and William Alexander to command the ill-fated vessel. Despite the General orders Lieutenant Dixon took the Hunley down and successfully resurfaced  two-and-one-half hours later.  Nautical archaeologist, Christopher Amer explains "During months of practice the crew each evening would walk from their house in Mount Pleasant (it is still there), past Ft. Moultrie to Battery Marshall, the Hunley's base located at the north end of Sullivan's Island, and conduct "dry runs" going offshore as much as 7 miles before returning to base at dawn and walking back home for breakfast. Finally, on the evening of February 17, 1864 everything was ready, and the vessel attempted its first combat operation against an enemy vessel. The target was the 1200-ton steam Housatonic

  

(October 2006) View from the front, looking toward Charleston Harbor. Charleston can be seen in the left background
 
The crew of the confederate submarine, C.S.S. Hunley, commanded by Lt. George Dixon, was temporarily quartered at Ronkinís Long Room, 205 Ferry Street in early 1864. The building, historically known as Shell Hall, on the property of Charles Pinckney, was used during the Civil War as an armory and barracks. Ferry boats ran from here to Charleston

      
(October 2006) Back of house   (October 2006) Front porch

Return to H. L. Hunley