Reports of Col. David Provence, Sixteenth Arkansas Infantry, of the
capture of Union outposts, and casualties to July 8


JUNE 27, 1863.

GENERAL: Yesterday morning works of the enemy were discovered about 200 yards to my front, and some 300 in advance of any of the neighboring works of the enemy. I was unable to comprehend the design of these works. I therefore directed Lieutenant-Colonel [J. M.] Pittman to send out a brave and cautious man to examine them. Accordingly, Private Mieres was sent out, who passed beyond the works to the right of them, so that he could get a view of them from the enemy's side. He reported the works connected with the woods by a deep ravine, and that they were occupied by some 15 or 20 men. A short time before nightfall, Colonel Pittman sent out Sergt. J. W. Parker, the result of whose reconnaissance was substantially the same as that of Private Mieres. Feeling that I would not be able to post our pickets without the loss of life, or else discontinue pickets altogether, I determined to take the works and destroy them. I directed Colonel Pittman to call for 30 volunteers from the Sixteenth Arkansas for the execution of this order, and place them under a proper officer. Many of the men and large numbers of the officers volunteered. The accompanying is a list of those finally chosen and allowed to go,* to which list, if proper, I might add the names of several commissioned officers. The whole were placed under the command of Lieut. A. S. McKennon. At nightfall they were placed outside of our works, at a point south and west of the enemy's works. At the same time a number of our men, at a point considerably to the left of Lieutenant McKennon, were directed to make a noise and engage the enemy at the battery in conversation, with the view of directing attention from the point of approach. This was done, and a lively and noisy conversation ensued. While this was going on, Lieutenant McKennon approached to within about 30 yards of the enemy's works, when he gave the order to charge. In an instant the work was in our possession. The enemy fired but once, and then at a great elevation. After the works were in our possession, the men, with the assistance of others from the regiment, tore down the works and scattered the sandbags, bringing many of them into camp. Besides destroying the works, 7 prisoners were taken, and several were killed and wounded. We had only I man hurt, who was knocked down by one of the enemy as he was leaping into the works. Some 12 or 14 guns were also brought in.

We finally posted our pickets, and were only annoyed during the night by occasional volleys fired from the woods.

Respectfully, &c.,


Colonel, Commanding.

 [Brigadier-General BEALL.]


July 8, 1863.

CAPTAIN: The following is a report of the casualties of this command: First Mississippi Regiment, Major [Thomas H.] Johnston commanding, Private W. D. Striclan, Company F, killed; Forty-ninth Alabama, Major [T. A.] Street commanding, Private James Terrel, Company A. wounded slightly; first section Watson Battery, Lieutenant [J. E.] Norés commanding, none. Recapitulation--killed, 3; wounded, 3.

Respectfully submitted.


Colonel, Commanding.


Assistant Adjutant-General.

*Not found

Return to Port Hudson Home     Return to Official Records