Battle of Champion Hill, a Virtual Tour: Champion Hill MB Church

  

Champion Hill Home
Civil War Album Home
Return to Yazoo Pass - Siege of Vicksburg
 
  Area Map
 

         Champion Hill Missionary Baptist Church history began with its first Worship Service in an abandoned voting booth that predated the Civil War, called "Center Beat." It was located mile southwest of the present location.

            Champion Hill dates its official beginning from the completion of the first church building in 1897. It was a one-story frame building. A belfry tower topped the mother church. Inside was simply a sanctuary, with a pulpit and choir stand. The building sat on a 2-acre tract of the Civil War battlefield owned by the descendants of Sid Champion.

  

Champion Hill Missionary Baptist Church            Champion House Marker on Page-3

 
View looking south   Enlarge
     
 
  
Panorama
  Panorama
  
Champion Hill MB Church Page1     Page2     Page3     Next

Top of Page