Edwards Station: When the Vicksburg-Clinton Railroad was built through the tiny community in 1831, the citizen's voted to change the name of their town from Edwards to Edwards Station, so honoring the railroad. It remained Edwards Station through the Civil War, but reverted back to its original Station-less name shortly after the war

At the time of the Battle of Champion Hill there were only some 360 white persons living in the Edwards Station area. The slave census figures are too faint on the official record to be legible. But, in all of Hinds County - including Edwards Station - slaves made up 71 percent of the population (of 31,339 residents, 8,940 of the citizens were white, 22,363 slave, and there were 36 free blacks)

Courtesy of Champion Hill! by Herb Phillips

Return to Dusk, Page 2