Grand Gulf (March 16, 2003) Page6    

Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport Charm. Site Marker: The paddle wheel, frame, and part of the pump came from the wreck of the Confederate Transport Charm in the Big Black River. The Charm, a 223-ton sidewheeler, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1860. She was conspicuous for bravery at the Battle of Belmont, Missouri, ferried troops across the Mississippi River to meet Grant's thrust down the Louisiana side of the river, and brought the big guns to Grand Gulf from the railroad bridge on the Big Black River

Information Marker: Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal Gunboats


View looking northeast toward Fort Wade. The fort stands on the high ground in the center of the picture


Confederate Rifle Pits. Site Marker: During the April 29, 1863, bombardment of Grand Gulf, these rifle pits were held by the 6th Missouri (Confederate)

The Grand Gulf observation tower

Grand Gulf (March 2003) Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Page7   Next