|Jackson, Mississippi Page2|
(1-01) Standard Oil Building on the corner of
State Street and High Street. High Street runs to the left and right. This
is the site of the Bowman House where Johnston and Grant stayed. The
historical marker is gone but the pole for it is still there
(8-00) Old Capitol, State and Capitol St. Completed
in 1840. Mississippi's Secession Convention took place here in 1861. See
Battle of Jackson Page5 for photos of the Old Capitol museum
(1-01) Battle of Jackson
historical marker on Capitol Steet looking west. It is located at the entrance to the Jackson Zoo.
Here, May 14, 1863, 24th S.C. Infantry participated in delaying action
allowing city to evacuate to north. In command was Col. Ellison Capers,
who is honored in name of local chapter of U.D.C.
Jackson Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4 Page5 Page6 Page7 Next
Return to Yazoo Pass-Siege of Vicksburg Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour