Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
Vicksburg's River Batteries Page2
 
Return to Sites in Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour

(3-95) Battery #13, Barnes Battery: South view of the Louisiana Circle battery site (behind the two trees at center of photo) from the city park below

  

(3-2011) Enlarge  Another View South Fort, detached unit of the Vicksburg National Military Park: Washington St., 1/4 mi. north of Old US-80 Mississippi River bridge. South Fort commanded the river approach to Vicksburg to the south. The guns here participated in duels with ships of the Federal fleet and with Federal land based artillery. Site Marker: C.S. Company G, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery: River Batteries: Army of Vicksburg. Capt. William C. Capers. A detachment of the company, under Lieut. C. A. Conrad, served one 10-inch mortar in this position, South Fort, from may 18 to June 12, when the detachment was ordered to a work in rear of the line of Moore's Brigade. It served the mortar in that position to about June 29, when the detachment was ordered back to this fort and served the mortar to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863

      

(3-05) Battery #11, Marine Hospital Battery: Enlarge Pearl St., between Speed and Fairgrounds. The largest and most powerful of the river batteries. The battery was situated parallel to the R/R tracks (post-war) and extended the length of the picture above. Located here were Batteries B, C, D, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery and Detachment 22d Louisiana Infantry. Three 42-pounder smoothbores, two 32-pounder smoothbores, and two 32-pounder rifles were mounted in the battery. Site Marker west of Marine Hospital Site: C.S. Company C. 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery: River Batteries: Army of Vicksburg. Capt. John H. Lamon. The company served two 42-pounder smoothbore guns in this position, Marine Hospital Battery, from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863

 

(3-2011) Enlarge Marine Hospital battery site in 2011

     

The Marine Hospital Battery at Vicksburg, taken after the siege
 
Photo courtesy of Old Court House Museum Collections, Vicksburg, MS

 

(3-05) Battery #5, Harwood House Battery: Enlarge 600 block of Fort Hill Drive. A 9-inch Dahlgren was positioned here, west of the Mary Harwood house
 
(5-2011) New Interpretive Markers on Fort Hill Drive at the Harwood House
Harwood House Battery Interpretive Marker
Marker for River Battery 233 Yards West
View of the two markers

Vicksburg's River Batteries Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Next

Return to Sites in Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour