Rodney, Mississippi Page3    

(6-98) Old Mississippi River Channel at Rodney. In 1876 the river changed course moving two miles west of Rodney


(6-97) Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road (paved section)
Site Marker at Alcorn State University:
This old road is the first established route from Port Gibson and Alcorn to Rodney, and was constructed in the early nineteenth century. Composed of loess soil, the old roadbed and roadside bluffs for the next 2.4 miles remain today much as they were 150 years ago. Old timers say the roadbed has eroded only a little during their lifetime. Loess soil is an unstratified, buff to yellowish brown, loamy deposit and believed to be chiefly deposited by the wind during the Ice Age

Rodney, Mississippi Page1     Page2     Page3     Next

Return to Memphis-Duckport Canal      Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour