Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
Vicksburg Historic Houses and Buildings Page2


Return to Sites in Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour

(3-93) Cedar Grove (1840). 2200 Oak Street. Built by John Klein, a wealthy planter and businessman, the grounds extended down to the river, where he had his own wharf. In April, 1863 the home was struck by Union gunboat fire. A piece of grapeshot is still embedded in a parlor wall. Was visited by Generals Pemberton, Grant and Sherman
    
www.cedargroveinn.com

 

(3-05) Enlarge Cedar Grove

       
(5-2013) Enlarge Cedar Grove
 
James Neel photo
 

(3-03)  Willis-Cowan House (1835). Crawford Street two doors east of the Balfour House. Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Vicksburg headquarters during the siege. In 1890 it was purchased by Mrs. M.F. Cowan, the wife of one of the men who helped develop the underwater torpedo that was used by the Confederates to sink the USS Cairo
          
Pemberton's Headquarters is now owned by the National Park Service and is open to the public

     

(3-2011) Enlarge Pemberton's Headquarters (right)

(3-96) Hansford House. Confederate Col. Winchester Hall, 26th Louisiana Infantry, was brought here after being wounded

     

(3-92) McRaven. 1445 Harrison Street. Built in three different periods: circa 1797 Frontier, 1836 Empire, and 1849 Greek Revival. The three acre gardens were a Confederate campsite. Cannon damage visible inside and out
     
www.mcraven.com

 

(3-2011Enlarge Bethel A.M.E. Church
 
Marker: Site of first African Methodist Episcopal Church (1864), and first Negro Masonic Lodge in Mississippi organized here (1875). Campbell College was organized here in 1890. Present church was built in 1912

Historic Houses/Buildings Page1    Page2    Page3    Page4    Page5    Page6    Page7    Next

Return to Sites in Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour