Fort Gibson Historic Site Page2    

(7-01) Enlarge This is the hospital structure of the second Fort Gibson. A number of buildings in use during the Civil War era still survive at the fort, which is now a historic site maintained by the Oklahoma Historical Society. The entire complex was surrounded by earthwork fortifications during the Civil War. Some portions of these works can still be seen

(7-01) Enlarge This is a view of the bakery of Fort Gibson. The interior of the structure has been restored to its approximate appearance at the time of the Civil War
Interior of Bakery: Courtesy of Dale Cox, AR


(7-01) Enlarge Powder Magazine and Commissary (Visitor Center)
2005 View: Courtesy of Dale Cox, AR

(7-01) Enlarge Barracks. This structure is a surviving portion of the barracks of Fort Gibson. These barracks are from the "second" fort, which was in use at the time of the Civil War. The first fort on the site was a log stockade completed in 1824 and used until the 1840s. During the Civil War, the fort was renamed Fort Blunt by Union troops, although the Fort Gibson name remained in general use

Interpretive marker
1824-1936. In honor of the men of the Seventh United States Infantry, and their commander, Gen. Matthew Arbuckle, who founded Fort Gibson, April 21, 1824, and all other soldiers of the War of 1812 who served and died in the Indian Territory. Erected by the National Society, United Daughters of 1812, State of Oklahoma

Civil War in Indian Territory Home     Site Index     Fort Gibson Page1     Page2     Page3     Next