Fort Towson Historic Site

Fort Towson Historic Site
HC 63, Box 1580, Fort Towson, OK 74735-9273
Phone: (580) 873-2634
fttowson@okhistory.org
 
Fort Towson Historic Site
Map
Fort Drawing
Panoramas
History

Civil War in Indian Territory Home
Site Index

Links:
1. OHS Museums and Historic Sites: Fort Towson
2. Fort Towson: Wikipedia
3. McCasland Maps: Indian Territory
4. Timeline Results: Fort Towson
5. Fort Towson: Chronicles of Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma Historical Society's Fort Towson

More
Links
 
    
Park Day Clean-up
Fort Towson, OK
April 6, 2002
  Doaksville   Fort Towson Panoramas
 
Photos:
1857 Cannon
Commissary  2
Cooper's Shop
Eisenhower Tree
Enlisted Barracks  2  3
Entrance
Flag Pole
Hospital  2
Laundresses' Quarters
Lime Kiln  2
Magazine
Office
Officers' Quarters
Officers' Row
Old Military Road
Ordnance Storeroom
Pavilion
Post Cemetery
Quartermaster Storehouse
Recreation Hall
School
Sutler Store
Visitor Center  2
 

(1-01) Enlarge Entrance to Fort Towson Historic Site. The following photos of Fort Towson were taken January 20, 2001, and April 6-7, 2002

(1-01) Enlarge Visitor Center
 
Dorothy Jane Orton Monument
Panorama of Fort Towson ruins from Visitor Center

      

(2-10) Enlarge Visitor Center. Eisenhower tree placed May 8, 2002

  (2-10) Eisenhower Tree marker
            

(1-01) Enlarge Visitor Center display. Abandoned in 1854, Fort Towson played only a minor role in the Civil War. For a time, the old post served as the headquarters for Confederate General Sam Bell Maxey and at the end of the conflict was the scene of General Stand Watie's surrender. After the war, the post was used as a place of parole for defeated Confederate troops

(1-01) Enlarge Cartridge box

Fort Towson Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Page7     Page8     Page9     Next

Civil War in Indian Territory Main Page--Site Index