Fort Beivnue (The Tower) guarded the entrance to Bayou Bievnue just north of Chalmette. Construction on the fort began in 1815. It protected the route used by the British forces to attack New Orleans in 1814. During the Civil War a Confederate army camp (Camp Chalmette) was located at Chalmette battlefield, which is about a mile below Jackson Barracks. The camp protected the areas rear approach during the war. Fort Beivnue is a Marochello Tower, like the ones used throughout the English Coast. Bayou Bievnue empties into lake Borgne, and at its head water is the Chalmette battlefield. The fort is on private property and is used as a fishing camp.
Aerial photo/narrative courtesy of Kenny Meyers, Slidell, Louisiana
Return to Civil War Louisiana Aerial Photos