Chickamauga Page16

Photos/text this page courtesy of Paul Stanfield, GA and William Cook, Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Please Contact Webmaster for use of these photos

(11-2006) Chickamauga Battlefield. Hall's House site, near the Viniard Farm field

Paul Stanfield photo

 

(11-2006) Chickamauga Battlefield. Hall House site, near the Viniard Farm field

Paul Stanfield photo

     

(2007) Lytle Gap, approximately one-mile north of Wilder Tower in Chickamauga National Military Park. The gap was a major obstacle for the retreating Union troops. The gap, as well as the community located just south of it is named for Union general William H. Lytle, one of the most famous casualties of Chickamauga. Most of the western side of the gap is part of the military park

Paul Stanfield photo

 

(2007) Red House Ford & Ringgold Bridge site on Chickamauga Creek. Bragg established a temporary headquarters here on September 21, 1863

Paul Stanfield photo

     
(2008) Enlarge Old Federal Road near Red House Ford

84th Indiana position marker above Red House Ford near Old Federal Road and Prater's Road
 
William Cook photos

 

(2008) Present day site of McAfee Church, located near Lake Winnepesoka in Fort Oglethorpe, GA. A division of Federal infantrymen under Gen. James Steedman moved eastward along Rossville-Ringgold Road with orders to take possession of the eighty foot long wooden bridge over Chickamauga Creek at Red House Ford. After establishing HQ at McAfee Church, Steedman ordered one of his brigades to continue eastward to Red House Ford. When Steedman's men reached the vicinity of Spring Creek they encountered Confederate cavalrymen, the fighting continued after dusk. Steedman returned his division and camped around McAfee Church until the afternoon of 20th Sept., when it marched toward sounds of battle raging to the south. Shortly after Steedmans departure Federal cavalrymen arrived at McAfee Church with orders to maintain Federal positions along Rossville-Ringgold Road. The Federal cavalry commander pushed toward Red House Ford where they encountered Confederate horsemen. The Federals drove off the Confederates and seized the ford. After Chickamauga, much of the Army of Tennessee (CSA) camped around the area of Redhouse Ford. General Braxton Bragg established a temporary headquarters there on Sept. 22, 1863
 
Paul Stanfield photo

     

(2008) Enlarge 84th Indiana marker located at the Holiday Travel Park near Chattanooga

Paul Stanfield photo

 

(2008) Enlarge Marker at the travel park

Paul Stanfield photo

    Page16    
 
 
    Chickamauga Home    
    Site Index