Piedmont Springs Resort
Piedmont, Grimes County, Texas

Photos/text courtesy of George Hill, TX
For any use of these photos contact

1. Handbook of Texas Online - PIEDMONT SPRINGS
2. Handbook of Texas Online - GRIMES COUNTY

3. Grimes County, Texas Historical Markers Page

(July 2009) Piedmont Springs Resort. The Civil War significance is that the hotel and resort were the Headquarters and Hospital for John G. Walker's Texas "Greyhounds" Division after their participation in the Red River Campaign. There is rumored to be a small Confederate cemetery of 8 or 9 unknowns nearby. These men died in the hospital during the division's time here

Site of Piedmont Springs Resort
In operation as early as 1850 as health spa and resort because of three nearby sulphur springs (varying in taste from mild to strong). Numerous drinking places and bathhouses allowed guests to move freely about grounds.

Grand four-story hotel with 100 rooms built about 1860, was social center for area where guests enjoyed billiards, poker, horse races and Gen. Sam Houston once danced the Minuet.

In 1865, hotel became hospital, headquarters for John G. Walker's "Greyhound Division" Confederate Army. Owner closed the building after loosing money in panic 1870's.

Sites by State Home          Site Index