The Steamboat House
Courtesy of William Bozic, Houston,
For any use of these photos contact Webmaster
1. Steamboat House Texas History Museum
2. The Steamboat House Huntsville, TX - Sam Houston Project
3. Steamboat House - Texas State Historical Association
4. Steamboat House (Huntsville, Texas) - Wikipedia
5. Sam Houston's Steamboat House, Huntsville, Texas
6. Sam Houston - Wikipedia
7. PBS - THE WEST - Sam Houston
(November 2012) Enlarge Steamboat House
Texas voters overwhelmingly voted to leave the Union. No stranger to controversy, Sam Houston was removed from office for failure to swear allegiance to the Confederate States of America. Sam Houston had some of his land used as a training ground for CSA troops, and Sam Houston, Jr. served in the 2nd Texas Infantry Regiment and later as an officer in McMahan's Texas Artillery, CSA.
The second floor parlor of the Steamboat House there is a re-creation of the funeral of Sam Houston. On the first floor in the room just below the stairs, there is a representation of how the room might have looked in Sam Houston's final days. Sam Houston was a veteran of the Creek War and suffered greatly in his final days from wounds received during the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, Alabama on March 27, 1814.
Enlarge Steamboat House Plaque
Sites by State Home Site Index