Secession House
Beaufort, SC

2006 photo courtesy of Lee G. Hohenstein, Omaha, NE
For any use of these photos contact
See Links for additional information

The Milton Maxcy House C. 1813 dates back to the early 1700's. The Secession House Ordinance was drafted here, taking South Carolina out of the union. The next owner Edmund Rhett rebuilt with Greek revival architecture. During the Civil War General Rufus Saxton used it as his headquarters, housing officers as a hospital

Sites by State Home     Return to Site Index