Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page12
April 2004 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA
October 2007 photos/text courtesy of Lee Hohenstein, NE

(April 2004) Mt. Zion Church
Church Cemetery

(April 2004) Oatlands
George Carter, a great-grandson of Robert "King" Carter, began this monumental estate in 1804 and embellished it over two decades. In 1827, he graced the facade with fluted Corinthian columns, endowing the Federal-style house with lightness and elegance. He also built terraced gardens, slave quarters, barns, and smokehouses, as well as a greenhouse and gristmill. In 1903, Mr. and Mrs. William Corcoran Eustis purchased Oatlands. They restored the mansion and gardens and held foxhunt on the former farmland. Their daughters donated Oatlands to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1965
Interpretive Marker: Civil War comes to Oatlands



(April 2004) Oatlands
Carriage House

(April 2004) Rectortown
Federal prison site
At Rectortown, Major General George McClellan, USA, received the order relieving him from command of the Army of the Potomac

Interpretive Marker: McClellan's Demise,  Mosby's Raffle


(October 2007) Rectortown  Enlarge
This small railroad town near the intersection of Routes 713 and 710 was the site of a large Union campground in 1862 and where on November 7th Union Gen. George B. McClellan was replaced by Gen. Ambrose Burnside by direct orders from President Abraham Lincoln
This building was first build as a community post office and grocery store and in later years served the community as a farm supply and implement dealership


(October 2007) Rectortown  Enlarge
During the war it also served as a Federal prison. Grafitti written by the Confederate prisoners still adorn the interior walls. The image of the person with sideburns is believed to be that of Gen. Burnside. The owner intends to convert the building into a museum as it is loaded with history

More Grafitti

    Site Index