Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page33
August 2007 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA

Duffield Station
The log guardhouse formerly stood here next to the station

Duffield Station Enlarge
Another view of the station


Milville on Rt. 27
On April 5,1865 the newly formed company H of Mosby’s Rangers made a surprise attack upon their old adversaries the Loudoun Rangers, the only unit from Virginia to fight in the Union army. The Loudoun Rangers were camped here at Keye’s Switch (Milville). Mosby’s Rangers charged into this camp, killing 2, wounding 4, and capturing 65 prisoners while only having 1 man wounded


Loudoun Heights Clash marker Enlarge


Loudoun Heights Clash
On January 9, 1864 Mosby ordered a rendezvous at Upperville, to which 100 Rangers responded. The partisan company set out for Loudoun Heights through deep snow and bitter cold. They stopped once they were within 200 yards of the Union camp. Mosby sent a detachment of men under Stringfellow to capture Cole's headquarters in the rear of the camp, while he took the rest of the men further up the hillside, until they were directly west of the camp. As Mosby prepared to order the attack, gunfire erupted from the direction of Stringfellow's position, followed by the distant appearance of horsemen riding towards Mosby from the direction of the enemy camp. Thinking the unknown party was Federals who had discovered Stringfellow and his men, Mosby ordered a charge. His Rangers descended upon the camp and attacked the horsemen, who turned out to be Stringfellow's squadron. It was several minutes before the two parties recognized each other in the darkness, but not before several Confederates had been hit by friendly fire. In the meantime, Cole's men, awakened by the gunfire, grabbed their weapons and hastily formed a dismounted battleline, though many were barely dressed. Despite the darkness, the Federals easily identified the Rangers, who stood out as they were the only ones on horses. Their initial volley dropped several Confederates, many of whom were caught out in the open along the road. In the confusion that followed, several Rangers retreated and, soon afterwards, Mosby ordered a general withdrawal. The Rangers escaped with 6 prisoners and nearly 60 horses, but were forced to leave their dead and seriously wounded behind. A few miles beyond the Union camp, Mosby halted and sent two Rangers back under a flag of truce to exchange the prisoners for their dead and wounded, which included Billy Smith and First Lieutenant Thomas Turner. Captain Cole, however, declined the offer, and the Rangers left and made their way back towards Mosby's Confederacy


Saint Paul's Lutheran Church Cemetery
Located about three miles north of the Old Salem Church, on Rt. 671 (Harpers Ferry Road). This site is famous as a meeting point for Mobberly's band prior to several attacks on the enemy, most notably the Georges School house Raid in the winter of 64-65 when, from this point the group traveled east over the Short Hill Mountain and into onto the farmland adjacent to Lovettsville to attack camping New York Calvary and becoming known as the Georges Schoolhouse Raid. Additionally, the Lutheran Cemetery holds the graves of several of the men that rode with Mobberly, most notably, a man by the name "Tribby" who some say was almost as notorious as Mobberly himself

    Site Index