Florence, Alabama

Courtesy of Tim Kent, Tuscumbia, AL and Webmaster
Contact Webmaster for any use of the following  photos

Florence, AL Page1     Page2

Historical Museum Guide for Alabama
2. Florence, Alabama - Wikipedia
3. Welcome to the City of Florence, Alabama U.S.A.
More Links

(7-01) Wesleyan Hall, 1855. Site Marker: Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R. H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, and built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new home for LaGrange College (organized 1830 by Methodists). Used by both armies at various times during Civil War. Deeded to State of Alabama, 1872, as first coeducational teacher training institution south of Ohio River. School expanded to become University of North Alabama in 1974. Listed: National Register of Historic Places

(7-01) Mapleton, 420 South Pine. Union troops camped here and used the basement for concealing their horses. Served as provost marshal's headquarters. Col. John Harlan of the 10th KY Regt. occupied the house in 1862


(7-01) Pope's Tavern, 203 Hermitage Dr. (Jackson's Military Road). Stage stop and hospital for both armies. Site Marker: Pope's Tavern and Museum (Circa early 1830's). Restored 1968 by citizens of Florence. Second restoration 1987 by Florence Historical Board and work supervised by Thomas E. and Mary Ann Gilmore Hunt, Florence, as a civic contribution

(7-01) Pope's Tavern. Site Marker: Jackson's Military Road - Built by Andrew Jackson, 1816-1820. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery. Built with U.S. funds and troops. Followed in part Doublehead's Road from Columbia, Tenn., to Muscle Shoals. After 1819 mail route was transferred from Natchez Trace to pass through Florence via Military Road. A portion of Hood's army followed the road to Franklin and Nashville in 1864. In later years called Jackson Highway


(12-08) Enlarge Home of Confederate Brigadier General Edward Asbury O'Neal. It was built in the 1840's and O'Neal purchased the home in 1857. The home was occupied by Union and Confederate forces during the war. It is now home to a local business
Courtesy of Tim Kent, Tuscumbia, AL


(12-08) Enlarge Courtview, built in 1855. Acquired by the University of North Alabama, it is now called Rogers Hall. Confederate Lieutenant General Nathan Bedford Forrest used his home as his headquarters during the fall of 1864 while the Confederate army prepared for the invasion of Tennessee
Courtesy of Tim Kent, Tuscumbia, AL.

Florence, AL Page1     Page2

Sites by State Home       Site Index