Battle of Sailor's Creek (Sayler's) Creek, Virginia

Contributors:
1. Ed Conner, TN
2. Matt Hering, TN
3. Alan M. Di Sciullo, Esq., Princeton Jct, NJ
 
Please contact Webmaster for any use of these photos
  Links:
1. Battle of Sayler's Creek - Wikipedia
2. The Battle of Sailor's Creek Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
3. Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park
4. Encyclopedia Virginia: Sailor's Creek, Battles of
5. Battle Summary: Sailor's Creek, VA
6. American Civil War: Battle of Sayler's Creek - Military History
     
 
(2012) Enlarge Entrance to Sailor's Creek Battlefield
 
Alan M. Di Sciullo Photo
  (2012) Enlarge Hillsman House marker
 
Alan M. Di Sciullo Photo
     
   

(8-85) Located in the Sailor's Creek Battlefield Historical State Park near Appomattox Court House is the Hillsman House. Near this house, the Federal army shattered the corp of Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell on April 6, 1865. Ewell, along with his entire staff and 3400 men, was captured here

Bloodstains on the floor of the Hillsman House attest to it's use as a hospital after the battle to treat wounded of both sides

The spelling of the name of the battle was changed by the state of Virginia to "Sailor's", although the correct spelling is "Sayler's". Most historians refer to the battle as "Sayler;'s Creek"
 
Ed Conner Photo

(2012) Enlarge Hillsman House
 
Alan M. Di Sciullo Photo

     
 

(8-85) Confederate 6-lb smoothbore located at the Hillsman House
 
Ed Conner Photo

 

(8-85) Looking out over the Battlefield of Sayler's Creek, the last major engagement between the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac. Before the sun set on April 6, 1865, Lee had lost nearly a fourth of his army, over 8000 captured including Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell and MG G.W. "Custis" Lee

As Lee approached the battlefield, he was met by hundreds of disorganized Confederate soldiers, many without weapons, streaming to the rear. "My God!", he said, "Has the army been dissolved ?"
 
Ed Conner Photo

Sayler's Creek Page1     Page2

Sites by State Home     Return to Site Index