Brazoria Community Historical Museum Page2
Courtesy of William Bozic, Houston, TX
For any use of these photos contact

See McNeel's Plantation for more photos


(August 2008) Enlarge Brazoria Museum Stock Certificate

This is the best photo that could be taken considering the glare during a visit on August 15, 2008. It is a view of an original unissued certificate of stock in the Houston Tap and Brazoria Railway. This was a railroad which existed at the time of the War Between the States

(August 2008) Enlarge McNeel's Plantation 1800's Photo
This photo of a copy of a photo was taken August 15, 2008 at the Brazoria Chamber of Commerce on West Smith Street in Brazoria, Texas. The photo shows the magnificent McNeel Plantation in the 1800's. Confederate Major General John Bankhead Magruder stayed here and made the location his headquarters during the invasion attempt of the Texas Gulf Coast led by Union Major General Nathaniel P. Banks. During Reconstruction the entire area suffered greatly and the home, which was at one time considered one of the finest homes in Texas, did as well



(August 2008) Enlarge Ruins of the Sugar Mill at McNeel's Plantation

These are the ruins of the Civil War-era sugar operation at McNeel's Plantation. Sugar, cotton, and beef were much sought-after prizes by Union troops and are still major sources of revenue for the inhabitants of Brazoria County, Texas. The photo is taken from a display at the Brazoria Chamber of Commerce

(August 2008) Enlarge Confederate Identification Tags

These identification tags are extremely rare. Identification tags were never issued by the Confederate or Union armies. The identification tags are for J. M. BROOKS and J. A. DAVIS who both served in Augustus Buchel's 1st Texas Cavalry Regiment. The 1st Texas Cavalry served in Brazoria County for a time.

For more information on the 1st Texas Cavalry see: Horse Sweat and Powder Smoke: The First Texas Cavalry in the Civil War (Texas a & M University Military History Series) by Stanley S. McGowen 1999


(August 2008) Enlarge Cavalry Equipment

Cavalry Equipment (Note spurs) on display at the Brazoria Community Historical Museum. Photo taken August 15, 2008. Augustus Buchel's 1st Texas Mounted Volunteers (Cavalry) were stationed in this area, as well as Ruben Brown's 35th Texas Cavalry and James B. Likens' 35th Texas Cavalry and others. (There were two Texas Cavalry Regiments with the number "35" and both served for a time in this area so the surname of the commanding officer is used to determine the specific "35th".)


Brazoria Page1     Page2

Sites by State Home        Site Index