Cape Girardeau, Missouri Page4
Photos/Text courtesy of Lee Hohenstein, NE
Webmaster for any use of the following  photos


Cape Girardeau Page1  Page2  Page3  Page4  Next

(October 2010) The Minton House - built in 1846 of brick with stucco exterior it served as a Union Smallpox Hospital during the war. The Old Lorimier Cemetery is a block away and stories tell of a tunnel connecting the two that may have been used by the Underground Railroad to help slaves escape as well as a route to carry away the dead
Select to Enlarge-Back Button to Return

(October 2010) Warehouse Sign



(October 2010) The 1800's building by the waterfront, which now houses a restaurant, was used by General Grant as his headquarters during his stay in town

(October 2010) Battle of Cape Girardeau Marker - located on Broadway near Caruthers Street, it marks the location of the four hour battle (skirmish) on April 26, 1863 when Union forces under Brig. General John McNeil clashed with Confederate forces under General John Marmaduke. It resulted in a Union victory when Confederate troops retreated into Arkansas

Cape Girardeau Page1  Page2  Page3  Page4  Next

Site Index     Sites by State Home