The Outer Banks, North Carolina

Photos/Text courtesy of Brian Duckworth, NC and Alan Di Sciullo, Esq., Princeton Junction, NJ
Contact
Webmaster for any use of the following  photos


September 2009 Photos
Courtesy of Alan Di Sciullo, Esq.

 
1. Outer Banks Civil War & Military Attractions
2. HISTORY TIMELINE: The Outer Banks of North Carolina
3. Collections at the Outer Banks History Center
4. The Outer Banks of North Carolina
5. Fort Raleigh National Historic Site - Roanoke Island
6. Civil War Trail: The Outer Banks
7. Outer Banks Lighthouse Society
8. Outer Banks Secret Treasures
9. Shipwreck - National Park Service - Cape Hatteras
10. Origin of the Tar Heels
     

(12-2007) Enlarge Of all the early North Carolina lighthouses, the Bodie Island Lighthouse had the rockiest beginnings. Disagreements over the location delayed the building of the first lighthouse for ten years. After one year, one side was a foot lower than the other causing the lamp to stop functioning; attempts to prop up the lighthouse were unsuccessful. So, in 1859 a 90-foot-high brick tower was built as a new Bodie Island Lighthouse. In the early years of the Civil War, this lighthouse was controlled by Union troops. However, in 1861, Confederate troops slipped into the lighthouse and blew it up. See link: http://www.itpi.dpi.state.nc.us/CAROCLIPS/bodie.html

Outer Banks Black Out. As the Civil War began, Confederate forces on the Outer Banks of North Carolina began to stop the lighting of the lighthouses along the coast to hinder the Union navy. Union concern grew as privateering and pirating began on Federal ships in that area. The first campaign on the Carolina's coast began on Hatteras Island and Forts Clark and Hatteras

(12-2007) Enlarge The Ocracoke Lighthouse is the oldest active lighthouse in North Carolina. The current 76-foot-tall Ocracoke Lighthouse, located in the fishing village of Ocrocoke on Ocracoke Island, replaced the first Ocracoke Lighthouse which was a 55-foot-high, wooden structure. The original lighthouse was struck by lightning in 1818 and burned down. The 1823 lighthouse was controlled by both northern and southern troops during the Civil War. Confederate troops removed the lens from the lamp in the early years of the war, while Union troops replaced it in 1863. The fuel used to light the lanterns behind the lens was, first, whale oil, then kerosene, and finally electricity. See link:
http://www.itpi.dpi.state.nc.us/Caroclips/ocracoke.html

        

 

(12-2007) Enlarge The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in America. Located to warn travelers off shore in the area known as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic," the lighthouse has 268 steps inside to the top. During the Civil War, the lighthouse was attacked by both Union and Confederate forces. Over the years, three different Cape Hatteras Lighthouses have existed. The current lighthouse is actually the second structure. In 1936, it was so threatened by sea erosion that it was replaced by a steel skeleton tower in nearby Buxton Woods. The erosion reversed by 1950, however, so the tall brick lighthouse was reactivated

The present lighthouse was built in 1870 although the Civil War era lighthouse was on the same spot. The current lighthouse was moved in 1999 further inland. See link:
http://www.itpi.dpi.state.nc.us/caroclips/hatteras.html

(12-2007) Enlarge Lighthouse keepers dwelling: Then and current picture (Cape Hatteras)
 

      

(12-2007) Enlarge Lighthouse keepers dwelling in new spot since 1999 move. (Cape Hatteras)

 

(12-2007) Enlarge Site of original Cape Hatteras Lighthouse with the new one in the background

The Outer Banks, NC Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Page7   Page8   Next

Sites by State Home     Site Index