Jacinto, Mississippi Page2
Photos/text this page courtesy of  Steven Hippensteel, Tupelo, MS
Please contact Webmaster for use of these photos

CivilWarAlbum.com Home
CivilWarAlbum.com Photo Index

Jacinto, MS Page1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next


(9-2012) Enlarge Jacinto Jail:
No longer in existence, the Jacinto Jail was a two story brick building that was located across the street from the courthouse and had it's own 'hanging tree'. This photo was made during the school term of 1925-1925 when the courthouse was used as a school. Photo was donated to the Jacinto Museum by Opal Rutledge of Rienzi, MS who taught school there

Enlarged Views-Select Back Button to Return

(9-2012) Enlarge Original Brass Rain Gutter Spouts:

It is amazing that the courthouse building still has it's original brass rain gutter system installed. This view is of two of the rain spouts on the back corner of the courthouse


(9-2012) Enlarge Exterior View of the Main Hall:
This view is looking through the main hall of the first floor of the courthouse and out through the front door. Double doors are hanging on each dodorway

(9-2012) Enlarge Main Hall (Used as Horse Stall During Civil War by Rosecrans):
A view of the main hall of the courthouse with the Probate Judge's Office at the far right. After Mississippi seceded from the Union in January of 1861, military units like "Boone's Avengers" and the "Tishomingo Rifles" were formed and went off to war. The terrible battles of Iuka and Corinth were fought in the county. Jacinto was occupied by Federal Troops that same year with Major General William S. Rosecrans using the Jacinto Courthouse as his personal Headquarters to stage the battle of Iuka. Rosecrans housed his horses in this main hall of the courthouse as well. On September 17-18, 1862, Rosecrans marched his force of 9,000 out of Jacinto along the 14 miles to Iuka with a portion of his force getting lost along the way thus delaying the start of battle until the early afternoon of September 19th. By 1864, crops were so scarce in Jacinto and the surrounding county that county officials were buying corn from Tennessee to feed the county's citizens


(9-2012) Enlarge Black Board from School Room (Circuit Clerk's Office):
This office housed the Circuit Clerk and was the meeting place for the County Board of Police. Their main concern was the building and maintaining of Jacinto's roads. After the county was divided into Alcorn, Prentiss and Tishomingo Counties during reconstruction in 1870, the building was used as a school. The wall in this room was painted black and was used as a blackboard for learning. The maps are original as well and used in the school room


(9-2012) Enlarge Fireplace in Circuit Clerk's Office:
 A view of the fireplace in the Circuit Clerk's Office. Every room with the exception of the main hall on the first floor has it's own fireplace (two are present in the large courtroom on the second floor). The drawing of the woman above the fireplace is believed to be an original Jacinto citizen

Jacinto, MS Page1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next

Sites by State Home       Site Index