Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page38
August 2007 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA

Former James Hathaway House - Route 708 near route 50 Enlarge
Here Captain Mosby climbed out onto a sturdy tree limb while 80 Federals from the First New York (Lincoln) Cavalry searched the house and grounds for two hours and left without capturing Mosby. The tree, now 250 years old, still stands next to the house, it is in the right of this photo

Typical scenery in the Mosby Heritage Area





Oakham – Route 50 Enlarge
Through the trees is “Oakham” where on December 29, 1862, Stuart and Mosby spent the night at the home of Colonel Hamilton Rogers, just outside of Middleburg, Loudon County, and on the following morning, Stuart gave Mosby nine men and left him behind to conduct partisan activities.  While Stuart was settling into winter quarters near Fredericksburg in January 1863, Mosby was in Northern Virginia beginning operations against Union troops. Col. Rogers’ daughter lived here and married Col. John Fairfax who served on General Longstreet’s staff


For Sale sign at Oakham


Aldie Bridge – Route 50
This stone bridge, built in 1813 across the Little River, was built to last.   Almost 200 years later it continues to carry Route 50's heavy daily traffic.   At one time the highway department wanted to replace the bridge.   A story has it that Eugenia Fairfax, the widow of State Senator Henry Fairfax, stood in front of the bulldozers to save the bridge. During the Civil War cavalry from both sides often crossed this bridge.   Since it's narrow width could barely accommodate 4 horses side-by-side it was a bottleneck for advancing troops.   Colonel John Singleton Mosby took advantage of this fact when in April of 1864 he charged the enemy as it crossed the bridge
Here on March 1, 1863, as the Rangers charged down the road after the fleeing Federals Mosby’s young horse took the bridle in it’s teeth and ran away with him and carried him through the Union Cavalry’s skirmish line and across this bridge during the skirmish at the nearby mill. The Rangers captured 19 including 2 captains and 23 of their horses


Saffer House – Route 50 Enlarge
This house was used as a hospital by the Union army following the skirmish at Mount Zion Church on July 6,1864

    Site Index