Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
Willis-Cowan House: Pemberton's Vicksburg Headquarters
Return to sites outside the Military Park
 
Contributors:
1. James Neel, Sulphur Springs, TX
2. Webmaster

 
Pemberton's Vicksburg Headquarters Page1   Page2
 
  
 
Links:

1. Pemberton's Headquarters - Vicksburg National Military Park
2. Historic Willis-Cowan House (Pemberton Headquarters) Tour
3. Pemberton's Headquarters - Wikipedia
4. Pemberton Headquarters (Willis-Cowan House).Waymarking.com
5. Official Vicksburg CVB - Plan Your Trip to Vicksburg, MS

(March 2003)  Willis-Cowan House (1835). Crawford Street, east of the Balfour House. Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Vicksburg headquarters during the siege. In 1890 it was purchased by Mrs. M.F. Cowan, the wife of one of the men who helped develop the underwater torpedo that was used by the Confederates to sink the USS Cairo
          
Pemberton's Headquarters is now owned by the National Park Service and is open to the public
 
Photo by Webmaster

  

(March 2011) Enlarge Pemberton's Headquarters (right) from the northeast
 
Photo by Webmaster

     

(March 2011) Enlarge Pemberton's Headquarters and the Balfour House (right)
 
Photo by Webmaster

(May 2013) Enlarge Front of Pemberton's Headquarters
 
Photo by
James Neel

     

(May 2013) Enlarge Front of Pemberton's Headquarters
 
Photo by
James Neel

 

(May 2013) Enlarge The general and his staff took over the lower level of the house for office and possibly living space, Mrs. Willis retiring to an upstairs bedroom. This room to the right of the front entryway served as Pemberton's office; it was here he held conferences with his subordinates, including the one that decided upon the surrender of the city
 
Photo/text by
James Neel

     

(May 2013) Enlarge Through these windows Pemberton could watch the bombardment of part of the city. The current color scheme of the interior likely reflects, as do the electric light sconces and chandeliers, the house's use as a bed-and-breakfast in the latter quarter of the Twentieth Century
 
Photo/text by
James Neel

 

(May 2013) Enlarge The hallway leading from the front parlor (Pemberton's office) includes a circular stairway leading to the upstairs bedrooms, now used as office space
 
Photo/text by
James Neel

Pemberton's Vicksburg Headquarters Page1   Page2

Return to sites outside the Military Park