Selma, Alabama
Historic Homes

Photos/Text courtesy of Steven Hippensteel, AL
Contact
Webmaster for any use of the following  photos

Historic Homes
St. James Hotel and St. James Place
Brooke Rifle Cannon
Old Depot Museum & Foundry
Vaughan-Smitherman Museum
Historic Live Oak Cemetery
Kenan's Mill
Old Cahawba

Selma Historic Homes Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Next

Links:
1. Selma, Alabama in the American Civil War: Wikipedia
2. Selma, Alabama: Wikipedia

3. Selma, Alabama in the Civil War
4. Selma, Alabama Where History Meets Hospitality, from the Civil War to Civil Rights

 
     

(April 2010) Grace Hall
  
Enlarged Views: Hit Back Button to return

(April 2010) Enlarge Grace Hall: This Italianate house was built in 1857 and was saved from demolition by the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society. In 1865 Wilson's Raiders spared the house out of respect to Selma's Mayor M.J. Williams. For many years it was a prominent bed & breakfast where former first lady Lady Bird Johnson stayed on several occasions

        

 

(April 2010) Enlarge Cahawba Cottage: This is one of many cottages that was moved from the city of Cahawba, Alabama (know also as Cahaba) to Selma when Cahawba declined after not only losing the rights of being the capitol of Alabama to Tuscaloosa but also losing the namesake as the Dallas County seat to Selma. Many families that moved from Cahawba to the surrounding areas would often take their homes with them

(April 2010) Enlarge Cahawba Home: This house was also moved from Cahawba to Selma in 1859 by oxcart in sections. This house was the Cahawba home of Senator John Tyler Morgan. It is known that Senator Morgan and his family lived in this home because his son, John H. Morgan, scratched his initials on a windowpane using his mother's diamond ring. This windowpane has been removed from the window and framed to hang on a wall in the house

      

(April 2010) Enlarge Kingston: Built in 1867 of Italianate design, the house was once owned by Confederate Captain Joseph Forney Johnston who served as Governor of Alabama from 1896 to 1913. This was also the home of Dr. Goldsby King. Note the fretwork and beautiful etched ruby glass windows on the front porch. The fretwork was manufactured in Selma in 1867

 

(April 2010) Enlarge Lee-Bender-Butler House

Selma Historic Homes Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Next

Sites by State Home      Site Index