Selma, Alabama
Historic Homes Page4

Photos/Text courtesy of Steven Hippensteel, AL
Webmaster for any use of the following  photos

Historic Homes
St. James Hotel and St. James Place
Brooke Rifle Cannon
Old Depot Museum & Foundry
Vaughan-Smitherman Museum
Historic Live Oak Cemetery
Kenan's Mill
Old Cahawba

Selma Historic Homes Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Next


(April 2010) Enlarge Phillips-Hobbs-Joyce House: This house was built in 1837 by a son of one of the original founders of the Selma Land Company. This Greek Revival home was purchased by S.F. Hobbs, a native of Maine. Mr. Hobbs purchased a local jewelry store from an advertisement in a Maine newspaper; he later moved to Selma and fell in love with a Southern lady. When federal troops attacked Selma in 1864, Mr. Hobbs was serving in the Confederate Army against his six Yankee brothers. This home was damaged by a cannon ball but the silver from the jewelry store, which was hidden in the weatherboarding at the rear of the house, was not harmed. Pieces of jewelry were saved by Mrs. Hobbs who sewed them into her petticoat
Enlarged Views: Hit Back Button to return

(April 2010) Enlarge Henderson House



(April 2010) Enlarge Henderson House: This is the former King-Siddons-Welch House. This Greek Revival mansion was refurbished by Circle 'S' Industries for it's corporate headquarters and renamed Henderson House by Larry Striplin, Jr. in honor of his mother. The house was occupied by Union forces during the Battle of Selma. The Siddon's family who owned the house at the time occupied two of the upstairs rooms while Union troops used the rest of the house as a hospital. The house was built for William B. King in 1853, purchased by Judge Franklin W. Siddons in 1962 and in 1887 was purchased by the Welch family who occupied it for nearly 100 years

(April 2010) Enlarge General William Hardee House: This is was the home of General William Hardee, author of the book "Infantry, Rifle, and Tactics" used by both sides during the War Between the States. The home was constructed in 1865 and has undergone extensive remodeling since that time


(April 2010) Enlarge Smith-Quarles House: This antebellum home was built by Colonel Washington McMurray Smith in 1859. During the Battle of Selma the first floor of the home was used as a hospital for Union troops while the Smith women and children were allowed to reside upstairs. Colonel Smith was the president of the Selma Bank. Prior to the Union invasion of Selma, Colonel Smith hid the bank's gold inside the left column on the front porch. The Union troops never found the gold. When they left, a hole was cut into the bottom of the column and the gold was taken back to the bank. This is one of the few antebellum homes in Selma still occupied by descendants of the original founding families


(April 2010) Enlarge George Baker House: Built prior to 1861. The grounds of this home were the scene of a skirmish during the fall of Selma in the War Between the States. A wounded Union soldier crawled under the staircase and died following the battle. A fire in 1953 destroyed the top floor of the home. In an effort to salvage the home, a roof and cupola were added. The ceilings on the ground floor are gold leaf. Not visible from the street are some fine examples of etched and pressed glass. Other features of the house are linecrusta (a tooled leather wall covering) and Victorian influences such as parquet floors, added in the late 1800's

Selma Historic Homes Page1   Page2   Page3   Page4   Page5   Page6   Next

Sites by State Home       Site Index