Andersonville, Georgia Page2

More Andersonville from CivilWarAlbum.com:
City of Andersonville
Andersonville Prison
Andersonville National Cemetery

Drummer Boy Museum

Return to Andersonville Prison Home

 
   
Andersonville, GA Page1  Page2  Page3  Next
Select to Enlarge-Back Button to Return    

(January 2011) Public Water Pump - Downtown Andersonville
 
Steven Hippensteel photo

(January 2011) Andersonville Street Scene & Wirz Monument
 
Steven Hippensteel photo

        

 

(January 2011) CSA Quarters, c. 1860
 
Steven Hippensteel photo

(January 2011) Gen. Winders Home, c. 1850
 
Steven Hippensteel photo

      

(July 2001) Andersonville Depot Museum
  
Site Marker Side One:
The city of Andersonville was incorporated in 1853 as the village center of a small farming community. It came to national attention when Camp Sumter Prison opened here in 1864 and especially when its commandant, Capt. Henry Wirz, was tried for alleged crimes against humanity in 1865. Today, the community proclaims itself a "Civil War Village" and honors both the memory of Union soldiers who suffered here and Confederate soldiers who did their duty while experiencing illness and death in numbers comparable to their unfortunate prisoners
 
Side Two:
Father Peter Whelan (1802-1871). Father Whelan was an Irish priest serving the Diocese of Savannah at the outbreak of the War Between the States. He volunteered to serve as chaplain to CSA troops at Ft. Pulaski and was taken as a POW when the fort fell to Union forces. After being held over a year at Governor's Island and Ft. Delaware, he returned to Savannah where he answered the plea to minister to the prisoners held at Camp Sumter. Whelan came to Andersonville on 16 June 1864 and he remained here four four months daily tending to the needs of prisoners in the stockade. After the war, Whelan publicly defended Capt. Wirz as an innocent scapegoat. His life was cut short by a lung disease he contracted here and died on 6 February 1871. He was remembered by Confederate and Union soldiers alike as truly a "Good Samaritan"

Webmaster photo

 

(2006) Enlarge Andersonville Depot Museum. Dr. and Mrs. William Dykes and his bag and carriage used while serving as a doctor to the Andersonville Prison
 
Lee Hohenstein photo

     
   
(April 2014) Enlarge Andersonville Train Depot
 
Bill Bechmann photo
   

Andersonville, GA Page1  Page2  Page3  Next

Return to Andersonville Prison Home