Mosby Heritage Area Tour Page36
August 2007 photos/text courtesy of Richard Edling, PA

Woodward’s Store at the junction of Rt. 710 & Rt .713 near Rectortown Enlarge
Mosby and his men often met here and a third story room served as a hideout for Mosby on several occasions

Mosby tour marker at 5-Point Skirmish on Rt 713



5-Point Skirmish - January 1, 1865
A detachment of Cole's Second Battalion Maryland Cavalry, composed of a detail of 20 men from each company, numbering in all 80 men, under command of Capt. A. N. Hunter, came from Harper's Ferry on a scout and in search of Mosby. Captain Smith of Mosby’s Company B, with 32 men, went into Rectortown as soon as Cole's men had left, and getting on their trail, followed them out on the Salem road. Cole's party turned off, crossing the fields, in the direction of Middleburg. Captain Smith cut across the country to come out on their flank near Five Points. Soon shots were heard in front, as Montjoy, Henry Ashby and John Edmonds, who were riding in advance came upon their rear. The Rangers drew their pistols, and with Smith at their head, charged with a yell. At the first fire Captain Hunter's horse was shot and he was made prisoner. The Federals seemed more determined on flight than fight, and hurried on towards Middleburg. Captain Smith followed, but had to send a great portion of his force back with prisoners and horses. Mosby, seeing Smith's command in the town, thought it still occupied by the enemy and maneuvered around cautiously, but when they moved off he rode into town. Learning that they were a portion of his own command and had gone in pursuit of the Federals, he dashed off and soon, too, was on the track of the raiders, who had scattered and were now fleeing in every direction, closely pursued the Rangers. It was a rout for the Federal forces. Cole's men threw away bags of corn, sabres, carbines, pistols and everything they could well rid themselves of, and some, as though thinking their horses not fleet enough, jumped down, and leaving them in the road, ran through the woods on foot.
In this affair but two of " Mosby's Men " were wounded — John Gulick severely. Four of the Federals were killed, 10 or 12 wounded and 41 captured. Over 50 horses fell into the Rangers hands


Lakeland, on Rt 713
Mosby was critically wounded here on the night of December 21,1864 by Corporal Kane of the 13th New York Cavalry who shot him through the window pane of the back dining room. Mosby had the presence of mind to take off his uniform coat and shove it under a bureau after which he collected some blood from his wound and put it around his mouth. The Federals, who were returning from a scout after Mosby that had begun on the 17th, were drinking heavily which may have contributed to what happened next. They asked Mosby his name, and he groaned faintly it was Lt. Johnson of the 6th Virginia Cavalry. Major Douglass Frazer, in command of the Union party, was a bit tipsy himself, and he looked Mosby over himself and decided he was dying, and since he was just a lieutenant according to his word, they didn’t worry about him. So they rode away taking with them his cavalry boots and Tom Love, and somewhere in the dark a trooper was carrying a plumed hat, gray overcoat and a scarlet lined cape he had picked up in one corner of the dining room. It was some hours before the latter came to light and they were identified as Mosby’s
By the time they got back Mosby had been moved by oxcart to a neighboring home
This event may have shortened the war as Col. Mosby had been recalled to Richmond in December by President Davis to discuss the beginning of wholesale guerilla warfare, Mosby and the other partisan leaders, in blocking Sheridan in his Valley campaign had shown how valuable it was, and the rebel high command looked upon it as a way to hold on. There was to be a system of mountain signal stations for quick communication and the overall leader was to be Mosby who would be promoted to brigadier general at the proper time. But what happened here on the night of December 21st leaving Mosby desperately wounded and convalescing till the end of February, near the end of the war, put and end to any plans of wholesale guerilla warfare, thanks to Corporal Kane




Rector House marker on Rt. 713 near Rt. 50 Enlarge

    Site Index