Jackson, Mississippi

Contributors:
1.
Mike O'Neal, Greenwood, MS
2.
Brian Risher, Hernando, MS
3. Webmaster

Vicksburg Campaign Home
CivilWarAlbum.com Home
 
Contact
Webmaster for use of the following photos

Links:
1. Battle Summary: Jackson, MS
2. Jackson, Mississippi - Wikipedia
3. Battle of Jackson, Mississippi - Wikipedia
4. Mississippi Civil War Battle Jackson American Civil War
5. Capture of Jackson Mississippi

6. Mississippi Old Capitol Museum
   
    

(8-00) Manship House, 420 E. Fortification. Home of Jackson's wartime mayor, Charles H. Manship. A fire bell on the lawn was the only bell in the city to escape being melted for ammunition. Confederate defense earthworks ran through the front lawn
 
Manship House fire bell
  
Photo by Mike O'Neal

    

(8-00) Boyd House "The Oaks" 823 N. Jefferson St. Was occupied by Gen. Sherman during the July, 1863 siege of Jackson. Site Marker: Built ca. 1853 for James H. Boyd, Mayor of Jackson, 1842, 1844, 1850, and 1858. One of the few homes to survive the Civil War. The Greek Revival house is listed on National Register of Historic Places
  
Photo by Mike O'Neal

    

(8-00) Governor's Mansion, Capitol St. Home of Mississippi's governors since 1842
   
Photo by Mike O'Neal

(2006) Enlarge West side of Jackson City Hall. The statue in the middle is of Andrew Jackson, for whom the city was named. Plaque on wall near entrance: Built 1846-47 by slave labor of hand-made brick. Original cost $7,505.58. John Oldham, Mayor, Will Gibbon, Arch. Used as hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers during War Between the States, this building was spared when the town, having been burned three times, became known as "Chimneyville."
     
Photo by
Richard Edling

Jackson Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Page7     Next

Return to Yazoo Pass-Siege of Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour