Mississippi Central Railroad Campaign Page2    

(March 2002) Enlarge College Hill Presbyterian Church

(March 2002) Interior


(March 2002) Enlarge Wall Doxey State Park, south of Holly Springs, MS.
Spring Lake is near the headwaters of Little Spring Creek, which is fed by numerous natural springs from the surrounding steep hills. The lake here dates back more than 150 years. Around the year 1840 this land was owned by William Lumpkin who had built a dam and a large 4 story grist mill near what is now the north end of the lake. The mill was ravaged and burnt down during the Civil War
Picture Narrative:
During the Civil War period, 10,000 Union soldiers were camped around a spring-fed lake, which was their water source, which is now known as Spring Lake at Wall Doxey State Park
1. Wall Doxey State Park

2. Old Mills of Marshall County - Marshall County MSGenWeb
3. Foraging in Mississippi

(November 2002) Enlarge Matt Anderson (right) and Steve Sullivan at Spring Lake
Don Sides photo

(March 2002)  

(March 2002)

(March 2002)

R/R Campaign Page1  Page2  Page3  Page4  Page5  Page6  Page7  Page8  Page9  Page10  Page11  Page12  Page13  Page14  Page15  Next

Return to Memphis-Duckport Canal     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour