Battle of Port Gibson Page3
Photos/text this page courtesy of Webmaster and Brian Risher

Port Gibson Page1  2  3  4  5  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next

   

(March 15, 2013) Enlarge Bethel Church. 15 miles west of Port Gibson on SH-552. One of the few remaining landmarks associated with the battle of Port Gibson. Late afternoon of April 30, 1863 the vanguard of the Union army passed by Bethel Church enroute to Port Gibson. While marching by, some of the trigger-happy soldiers shot at the steeple. Site Marker: Bethel Church C. 1845. Greek Revival. The original congregation of the Bethel Presbyterian Church organized in 1826 under the direction of Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, constructed this building in the mid 1840s. On the interior, ornamentation is completely lacking. The use of pilasters on the exterior is an interesting feature as are the simplified hood molds, normally found only on Gothic Revival buildings. Renovations have occurred over the years and the original slave gallery has been removed. A tornado (1943) destroyed the sharply pointed steeple
 
Photo by Webmaster

 

(March 2009) Enlarge Bethel Church
 
Photo by Webmaster

      
(March 2003) Bethel Church
 
Photo by
Brian Risher
(March 2003) Bethel Church
 
Photo by Webmaster
     

(March 2003) Intersection of Old Rodney Road and SH-552, south of Bethel Church. The vanguard of the Federal army turned left here after passing the church
 
Photo by Brian Risher

 

(March 2003) One of the many narrow turns of Old Rodney Road
 
Photo by Brian Risher

Port Gibson Page1  2  3  4  5  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next

Return to Yazoo Pass-Siege of Vicksburg      Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour