Battle of Port Gibson Page5
Photos/text this page courtesy of Webmaster and Don Sides

Port Gibson Page1  2  3  4  5  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next

   
 
(March 15, 2013) Enlarge Rodney Road, west of Widows Creek   (March 15, 2013) Enlarge Rodney Road, west of Widows Creek
 

Another view west of the creek
 
     
(March 2003) Webmaster and Brian Risher approaching the A. K Shaifer House

Photo by Don Sides
 

(March 2003) Webmaster and Brian in one of the deeper cuts west of the Shaifer House
 
Photo by Don Sides

      

(March 2004) Enlarge Rodney Road, west of A.K. Shaifer House
 
Photo by Webmaster

(March 1993) A.K. Shaifer House. Three miles west of Port Gibson on Old Rodney Road. Site Marker: Confederate Gen. Martin E. Green on the afternoon of April 30, 1863, posted his brigade near Magnolia Church, with an outpost here. Shortly after midnight, Green rode forward to check on his pickets. Reaching this point, the general found Mrs. A.K. Shaifer and the ladies of the house frantically pilling their household effects on a wagon. Green assured the women that there was no need to hurry, since the Yankees couldn't possibly arrive before daybreak. Hardly had Green spoken before there was a crash of musketry .. the pickets had exchanged shots with the Union vanguard, soldiers of the 21st Iowa. The women leaped into the wagon and headed for Port Gibson, while Gen. Green returned to Magnolia Church to alert his troops. The Confederate pickets fell back  before the Federal advance. During the Battle of Port Gibson, the Shaifer house served as Gen. John A. McClernand's GHQ and a Union hospital
 
Photo by Webmaster

     

(March 1997) A.K. Shaifer House. South view toward Old Rodney Road. Site Marker: The Battle in Retrospect. This Union victory at Port Gibson gave Grant the foothold on the Mississippi side of the river that terminated a year of failure, and subsequently led to capture of Vicksburg, his ultimate goal. The Port Gibson battlefield has changed little since May, 1863. Ravines are still filled with vines and immense canebrakes, and ridges are as steep-sided as when Federal troops scaled them. The deep road beds have not changed, and relics of the battle are still occasionally found on their surfaces. Bridges have been added where once streams were forded. The Shaifer house remains, but with walls showing scars from missiles fired during the battle. Magnolia Church, where the Confederates placed their first line of defense, is no longer standing. Only its brick foundation and the cistern remain. The Port Gibson Battlefield is listed in the National Register of Historic Places
 
Photo by Webmaster

 

(March 15, 2013) Enlarge Old Rodney Road, east of A.K. Shaifer House

Port Gibson Page1  2  3  4  5  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next

Return to Yazoo Pass-Siege of Vicksburg      Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour