Siege of Petersburg, Virginia Page10
Photos/text this page courtesy of Don Hogan, GA
   

(2004) Petersburg National Battlefield: Grant's Headquarters at City Point
 
View of the James from the area where the wharf stood

(2004) Petersburg National Battlefield Tour Stop-1: Confederate Battery 5
 
Located behind the visitor center, this was one of the strongest works on the original Confederate defense line (the Dimmock Line). Federal troops captured it on June 15, 1864. A trail leads to the site where the Dictator, a huge mortar used to shell Confederate batteries north of the Appomattox River, was located

        

 

(2004) Petersburg National Battlefield Tour Stop-1: Battery 5 Trail (The Dictator)
 

The "Dictator" was a 13" Mortar used by Gen. Grant's forces during the siege of Petersburg. The 13" seacoast mortar on display here is not the Dictator
 
Wartime view of the Dictator

(2004) Petersburg National Battlefield Tour Stop-3: Confederate Battery 9
 
Black U.S. troops of Hink's Division captured this position during the first day's fighting. The winter quarters of the Union 9th Corps were in the surrounding area. This site also features examples of siege fortifications and related structures. A trail leads to a wayside on Meade Station, an important supply and hospital depot on the U.S. Military Railroad built during the siege. It is a 10-minute walk

Petersburg Page1  Page2  Page3  Page4  Page5  Page6  Page7  Page8  Page9  Page10  Page11  Page12  Page13  Page14  Page15

Page16  Page17  Page18  Page19  Page20  Page21  Page22  Page23  Page24  Page25  Page26  Page27  Page28  Page29  Page30  Next

Sites by State Home     Site Index