Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour
Vicksburg's River Batteries

(3-92) Upper Water Battery: US-61B below Fort Hill. No related marker at site. This battery, located on the bank of the old Mississippi River below Fort Hill, commanded the river bend above Vicksburg. The Water Battery was one of the three most powerful batteries in the Vicksburg defenses.  Shortly after daylight on May 27, 1863, the Union ironclad, U.S.S. Cincinnati, was sunk by the combined fire of the Water Battery and other batteries
 
Official Records Report (Vicksburg's River Batteries)
Col. Edward Higgins, Commander of Vicksburg River Batteries

  

(3-92) Battery #13, Barnes Battery, detached unit of the Vicksburg National Military Park (Louisiana Circle): Washington St., north of South Fort. Commanding the river approach to Vicksburg to the south, the gun here participated in duels with ships of the Federal fleet and with Federal land-based artillery. The "Widow Blakely" was so named because it was made by an English firm by the name of Blakely and was the only Blakely in the Vicksburg defenses. During the siege the Widow Blakely was emplaced about one mile north of its present location. Site Marker: C.S., Marks' Company, 22d Louisiana; River Batteries: Army of Vicksburg, Capt. Washington Marks. A detachment of the Company, under Lieut. Samuel Barnes, served one 10-inch Columbiad in this position from about May 26 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863

      

(3-02) Battery #13, Barnes Battery: Enlarge View looking northwest across Washington St. (wartime Warrenton Road)

 

(3-95) Battery #13, Barnes Battery: Northwest view of the "Widow Blakely"

Vicksburg's River Batteries Page1     Page2     Page3     Page4     Page5     Page6     Next

Return to Sites in Vicksburg     Return to Vicksburg Campaign, a Virtual Tour